… And it’s FREE
That’s right. Totally FREE. No strings attached.
I’m launching an online 12-week walk/run program for a certain population and want to make sure I get it right. So I’m piloting this program first before adding it to the roster of services currently offered at Define Me. But before I go into the details, let’s start by setting the stage:
- Do you have a chronic illness, such as an autoimmune disease?
- Or are you in a life stage, such as postpartum or menopause, that has stifled your deep-seeded desire to move your body freely, with joy, while honouring your unique circumstances?
- Are you at a point where you feel well enough to want to start back to a movement practice?
- A movement practice that will support, rather than hinder you as you learn to manage body changes?
- A movement practice that develops your ability to sense your body’s needs from inside you (aka: an embodied approach)?
- Are you ready to run with it? Are you ready to run with us?
Keep reading as I share a little bit about how this idea came to be and what’s in store for us…
When chronic illness crushes your world and your identity
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my early 20s. And I was managing it and functioning in life well up until almost 2 years ago. Then, I found out my 20+ year old diagnosis had escalated to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune illness where the immune system attacks the thyroid and sees it as a foreign entity in the body. Chronic fatigue and pain, dry skin, mood imbalances (among other things), really sent me on a downward spiral quickly with my well-being and my ability to parent, work and play.
I have always considered myself an athlete, from my time in competitive martial arts to endurance sport, and everything in between. But the Hashimoto’s diagnosis had me really questioning that identity. And it had me wondering if I would ever get back to the types of activity I used to enjoy.
Shortly after learning about my change in health status, I adjusted various lifestyle behaviours to manage the physical effects of my diagnosis. I now have a well-rounded exercise routine, coupled with self-care practices, that compliment my healing and thriving on all levels. Part of that routine includes one of my favourite activities – running. And while it might not be the long distances I used to travel, it’s enough to feel that I’ve reclaimed my inner athlete. I want that feeling for YOU too!
Are you going to be Running With It, with us?
I know what has worked for my body: steady progression, lots of rest, plus gentle, varied, restorative movement; all while listening to my body and being sure not to overdo it. But, I also know that doesn’t mean it will work for all bodies. So, I developed this 12-week online program to test out what I think will work for most of us, with the expectation that we’ll adapt it along the way.
You don’t need to be a runner or a hard-core athlete to join. In fact, I want to welcome varying levels with a diverse range of goals. Together, we’ll figure out the right pace for each of our bodies. Get to know your body well through embodied movement practices and honouring your unique circumstances. In this 12-week program, you can expect:
- Lifetime membership in our secret Facebook group
- Training and progression worksheets
- Self-care tips and resources
- Facebook live events
- Discussions related to living with chronic illness and/or life changes
- Videos on yoga, self-massage, strength training, functional movement
- Ongoing support from Me, your coach
Running With It means we might have a chronic illness but we are not going to let our illness define us or hold us back! This walk-run program will be a source of healing and empowerment. Let’s take this slow and compassionately. I’m here for you 🙂
Ready to register? Want to learn more? Contact us today to get yourself on the road to a lasting, and enjoyable movement program with our Running With It* online walk/run club.
*Start time and other details to be provided upon registering.
Leave a Reply